Advertisement banner

Trump Sets 10–15 Day Deadline for Iran Deal

U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran it must reach a “meaningful” nuclear agreement within 10 to 15 days or face “really bad things,” as tensions rise amid a major U.S. military buildup in the Middle East.

February 20, 2026Clash Report

Cover Image

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday warned Iran it must finalize a nuclear agreement within 10 to 15 days or face unspecified but “really bad things,” escalating rhetoric as Washington intensifies its military presence across the Middle East.

View post on X

Deadline Diplomacy

Speaking at the inaugural meeting of his newly formed Board of Peace in Washington, Trump said negotiations aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over Tehran’s nuclear program were progressing but insisted that a “meaningful” agreement must be reached swiftly.

“Otherwise bad things happen,” Trump said, adding that developments would become clear “over the next probably 10 days.” Later, speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, he clarified that “10, 15 days” would be the maximum timeframe.

While declining to detail specific consequences, Trump reiterated that Iran “cannot have a nuclear weapon,” framing the demand as essential for regional peace.

Tehran’s Warning to Washington

In response, Iran sent a letter to Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, stating it would not initiate conflict but would respond decisively to any military aggression.

The letter warned that all U.S. bases and assets in the region would constitute “legitimate targets” if Iran were attacked, and that Washington would bear responsibility for any uncontrolled escalation.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said negotiators had agreed on certain “guiding principles” in recent talks, though White House officials acknowledged that significant differences remain.

Military Buildup and Global Repercussions

The diplomatic confrontation unfolds against the backdrop of a substantial U.S. military deployment to the region, including aircraft carriers, warships and fighter jets. A senior U.S. official said the buildup would be completed by mid-March.

Trump referenced U.S. airstrikes conducted in June, asserting that Iran’s nuclear capabilities had been “decimated,” while leaving open the possibility of further action.

Russia cautioned against what it described as an “unprecedented escalation of tension,” while a Russian naval vessel joined Iranian drills in the Gulf of Oman, a strategic energy corridor. The heightened tensions have contributed to rising global oil prices.

Poland became the latest European country to advise its citizens to leave Iran, citing growing security risks.

Core Disputes Remain

Washington is pressing Tehran to abandon uranium enrichment entirely, halt development of long-range ballistic missiles, cease support for regional armed groups and refrain from using force against domestic protesters.

Iran maintains that its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes and has rejected negotiations beyond the atomic file, describing limits on its missile program as a red line.

The United States and Israel previously conducted coordinated strikes on Iranian nuclear and military facilities last June. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio is scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later this month to discuss Iran.

Rising Risk of Conflict

Trump’s renewed threats come as he presents himself as a proponent of peace while expanding the scope of his Board of Peace initiative to address conflicts beyond Gaza.

However, with negotiations still unresolved and military assets in place, the next two weeks may prove decisive in determining whether diplomacy prevails — or whether the standoff edges closer to open confrontation.