Aselsan - Securing Beyond The Land

US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane as Campaign to Dismantle Continues

The United States has imposed new sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane and a senior prosecutor, escalating Washington's aggressive campaign to dismantle the international court and shield non-member states from prosecution.

August 19, 2026 Ahmet Koçak

Cover Image

Judge Tomoko Akane at the ICC court in The Hague, November 20, 2024 - AFP

The United States imposed new sanctions Tuesday on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye.

The move marks a direct escalation in Washington's declared campaign to dismantle the global judicial body.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the punitive measures, saying the targeted officials have tried to investigate, arrest, or prosecute individuals from governments that have not consented to ICC jurisdiction.

The court responded swiftly to the announcement, condemning Washington's actions. The institution stated that the new measures undermine the rule of law.

"The Court remains undeterred and stands firmly behind its personnel and behind victims of unimaginable atrocities," the court said in a statement.

"The Court will continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality, in full accordance with the Rome Statute and in the interest of victims of international crimes."

The Trump administration has a history of targeting the court over its attempts to investigate the United States and Israel, neither of which is a member state.

Tensions deepened after the court issued arrest warrants for officials including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over military operations in Gaza.

Rubio launched a broader State Department-led campaign last month to systematically dismantle the institution.

Washington has since pressured foreign governments to withdraw funding and participation from the court, threatening increased scrutiny for non-compliance.

"The ICC’s ability to target American nationals and those of other non-States Parties must end," Rubio said. "The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty."

The diplomatic pressure has already yielded withdrawals from the court. Both Venezuela and Chad announced decisions to withdraw from the ICC following the launch of the US campaign.

The ICC’s Presidency of the Assembly of States Parties expressed concern over the withdrawals. The body warned that the exits risk undermining global efforts to end impunity and pursue collective justice.

US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane as Campaign to Dismantle Continues