Trump Announces $5 Billion Pledge for Gaza Reconstruction
U.S. President Trump announced that members of his newly formed Board of Peace have pledged $5 billion for Gaza’s reconstruction and will provide thousands of personnel for an international stabilization force, with formal commitments set to be unveiled Thursday in Washington.
February 16, 2026Clash Report
U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday that his newly established Board of Peace secured $5 billion in pledges to rebuild war-devastated Gaza and commitments of thousands of personnel for an international stabilization and police mission. The pledges will be formally announced at the board’s inaugural meeting in Washington on Thursday.
$5 Billion in Initial Reconstruction Commitments
In a social media statement, Trump described the Board of Peace as potentially “the most consequential international body in history” and said he was honored to serve as its chairman. He did not specify which member states are contributing funds or personnel.
The board includes more than 20 members, though it remains unclear how many will attend the first session. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who met Trump at the White House last week, is not expected to participate in the gathering.
Indonesia Signals 8,000-Troop Readiness
Indonesia’s military announced Sunday that up to 8,000 troops could be prepared by the end of June for possible deployment to Gaza as part of a humanitarian and peace mission. The statement marks the first firm military commitment secured by the Republican president for the proposed stabilization force.
Under the Oct. 10 U.S.-brokered ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, an armed international stabilization force is envisioned to maintain security and oversee the disarmament of Hamas fighters — a central demand of Israel. So far, few countries have publicly expressed willingness to contribute troops.
A $70 Billion Reconstruction Challenge
Rebuilding Gaza presents a formidable financial and logistical challenge. The United Nations, World Bank and European Union estimate that total reconstruction costs could reach $70 billion. After more than two years of Israeli bombardment, large swaths of the Gaza Strip have been left in ruins.
Although the Oct. 10 ceasefire significantly reduced the heaviest fighting in the more than two-year conflict, Israeli forces have continued periodic airstrikes and frequently open fire near military-controlled zones, according to reports from the territory.
Broader Mandate and Global Implications
Initially perceived as a mechanism focused solely on ending the Israel-Hamas war, the Board of Peace has evolved into what Trump envisions as a broader platform for resolving global crises. The initiative appears to reflect Washington’s effort to reshape elements of the post-World War II international order and, potentially, to sidestep the United Nations framework.
Several key U.S. allies in Europe and elsewhere have declined to join the body, citing concerns that it may function as a parallel structure to the UN Security Council.
Sources:
Related Topics
Related News
Trump Backs Potential Israeli Strikes on Iran Missiles
Defense
16/02/2026
EU Commissioner Pushes Russian Concessions for Ukraine Peace
Ukraine - Russia War
11/02/2026
Attorney General to be Grilled on Epstein Files in Congress
America
11/02/2026
200 US Troops to be Deployed to Nigeria to Train Military
Africa
12/02/2026
Trump's Africa Strategy Under Skepticism as AU Convenes
Africa
13/02/2026
Trump Calls for Iran Regime Change
America
14/02/2026
