Khan Removed From ICC Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations
ICC member states voted 82 in-favor of dismissing prosecutor Karim Khan over sexual misconduct allegations.
July 25, 2026 Zülal Merve Bulut
International Criminal Court (ICC) Prosecutor Karim Khan - Reuters
Zülal Merve Bulut
Editor
Member states of the International Criminal Court voted to dismiss chief prosecutor Karim Khan for sexual misconduct allegations, with 82 of the court's 125 members backing his removal.
ICC governing body president Paivi Kaukoranta said the assembly found Khan "committed serious misconduct and a serious breach of duty."
Khan, 56, denies any wrongdoing, and his lawyer, Tayab Ali, said he "will challenge the lawfulness and fairness of the decision through all available legal mechanisms."
Allegations and Investigation
Diplomats had recommended Khan's removal last month over what documents described as an inappropriate relationship with a junior ICC lawyer.
Khan's accuser spoke publicly for the first time last week in a CNN interview, repeating allegations of a non-consensual sexual relationship.
Khan's lawyers told Reuters he denied "any sexual relationship of any kind" with the staff member.
Khan Points to Gaza Warrants
Khan's supporters have suggested he became a political target after seeking arrest warrants for Israeli officials over the war in Gaza, framing the misconduct case as entangled with backlash to that decision.
The ICC issued warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defense minister Yoav Gallant, among the actions that drew U.S. sanctions against Khan and 10 other ICC judges and prosecutors.
US Pressure Continues Regardless
The dismissal follows a renewed U.S. diplomatic campaign against the ICC, which Washington says threatens its sovereignty.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said during a Philippines visit there were "lunatics and crazies involved in the ICC."
State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott welcomed Khan's removal but said "he is only one small cog in this irredeemably corrupt institution," adding it would not change U.S. plans to dismantle the court.
What Happens Next
Khan's dismissal triggers an election process for a new prosecutor, not expected to conclude before next year.
Any active ICC warrants, including those against Netanyahu and Gallant, remain in place since only ICC judges can withdraw them.
Legal scholars said the vote could bolster the court's credibility on internal accountability, though many challenges remain.
Sources:
Related Topics
Related News
Türkiye Requests Interpol Red Notices for Netanyahu
Middle East
21/08/2026
US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane
America
19/08/2026
Family Rejects Israel’s Hind Rajab Probe
Israel-Gaza War
20/08/2026
Türkiye Says Will Oppose Netanyahu’s 'Destabilizing Acts'
Middle East
20/08/2026
No Indication Netanyahu Will Choose Gaza Peace
Middle East
18/08/2026
Türkiye Warns Radical Steps If Israel Insists on Gaza Stance
Middle East
13/08/2026

