UN: Congo War Nears Regional Explosion with Drone & Heavy Weapon Use
The war in eastern Congo is escalating into a complex conflict, with UN envoy Vivian van de Perre warning the use of heavy weapons & offensive drones is expanding the battlefield, endangering civilians & pushing the crisis toward a potential regional explosion.
March 27, 2026 İshak Habeşi

İshak Habeşi
Editor
The conflict in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo is entering a more dangerous phase, with the deployment of heavy weapons and offensive drones signaling a shift in tactics and an expanding battlespace.
UN envoy Vivian van de Perre told the Security Council that fighting between Rwanda-backed M23 rebels and Congolese forces has intensified despite the rebels’ withdrawal from Uvira in January. She warned that “the renewed hostilities have expanded and shifted the front lines,” increasing the risk of wider regional involvement.
Clashes continue across North Kivu and South Kivu, with the conflict now pushing toward Burundi’s border.
Van de Perre highlighted the growing use of drones and heavy weapons in urban areas as a critical escalation. She cited incidents affecting key infrastructure, including Bangoka Airport in Kisangani and locations in Goma.
The use of such systems marks a shift from irregular combat toward more technologically enabled warfare, raising risks for densely populated areas.
The conflict is no longer confined to traditional hotspots. Van de Perre identified expansion into Tshopo province as a “concerning” development, indicating a widening operational footprint.
“The situation in South Kivu remains tense,” she said, warning of a potential “regional conflagration” as fighting edges closer to neighboring states.
Eastern Congo has long been contested by more than 100 armed groups, with M23 emerging as the most potent force after its advance in early 2025, when it seized Goma and other cities.
In areas under its control, including Goma, M23 is establishing parallel administrative structures. The UN said this is “further undermining state authority” and complicating humanitarian operations.
Diplomatic efforts are ongoing. Officials from Congo, Rwanda and the United States met in Washington last week to coordinate de-escalation steps.
Van de Perre described the situation as “extremely volatile” and urged implementation of agreements, beginning with a ceasefire and the reopening of airports. MONUSCO, the UN’s nearly 9,000-member peacekeeping force, remains indispensable to the success of the peace process.
Sources:
Related Topics
Related News
Explained: Iran Could Lose $29 Billion as UAE Cuts All Trade
Middle East
19/08/2026
China Created a Man-Made Island for Its Largest Naval Base
Asia-Pasific
20/08/2026
US and Türkiye Condemn Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase
Middle East
18/08/2026
US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane
America
19/08/2026
Trump Pushes for Kim Jong Un Summit to Revive Nuclear Talks
America
19/08/2026
Tehran Weighs Strikes on Europe If Trump Escalates War
Middle East
19/08/2026

