Aselsan - Securing Beyond The Land

Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase Prompts US and Turkish Pushback

Israel has bombed the Abu al-Duhur airbase in its first raid on Syrian government assets since March, triggering swift condemnation from Ankara and a rare public rebuke from US envoy Tom Barrack, who termed the operation an unnecessary escalation.

August 18, 2026 Ahmet Koçak

Cover Image

Abu al-Duhur airbase following Israeli strikes, August 18, 2026 - Reuters

Israel launched an airstrike on the Abu al-Duhur military airfield in northern Syria on Tuesday, marking its first direct assault on Syrian state infrastructure since March and drawing sharp diplomatic criticism from both Washington and Ankara.

The operation involved eight separate strikes aimed at runway infrastructure and depot facilities at the facility in Idlib province, according to Syrian state media and local observers, with no casualties reported.

The Israeli military declined to comment on the operation.

The raid represents a notable breach in an operational lull against Damascus-held sites, coming as Syria’s new administration under President Ahmed al-Sharaa attempts to rebuild state infrastructure and establish regional security arrangements.

‘Unnecessary Escalation’: US Envoy

The strikes prompted an unusually direct public rebuke from Washington, which has sought to prevent open confrontation between regional actors and the newly established Syrian government.

"We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability," Ambassador Tom Barrack, the U.S. special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq, said on X.

Barrack emphasized that Damascus has avoided aggressive maneuvering or proxy warfare, adding that the U.S. would persist in encouraging "diplomatic cadence over kinetic frustration for both nations."

‘No Turkish Presence’

The raid immediately heightened diplomatic friction with Türkiye, which maintains close military and institutional ties with the new administration in Damascus and has NATO's second-largest standing army.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry issued a sharp rebuke, accusing Israel of undermining regional stability and demanding international action.

"Israel is recklessly continuing its attacks targeting Syria’s infrastructure and capabilities and violating its territorial integrity and unity," the ministry said in a statement.

Syrian Foreign Minister Assad al-Shibani similarly rejected the rationale for the attack during a press conference in Damascus with International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi, arguing that the strikes carried no security legitimacy.

A Turkish official told Axios that Turkey had no presence at the airbase. “Israel is inventing excuses to bomb neighboring countries and destabilize the region,” the official said.

Strategic Distrust

The Abu al-Duhur installation, located approximately 43.5 miles from the Turkish border, had been largely non-operational as a dedicated military facility since 2013, after repeatedly changing control during Syria's civil conflict.

The strikes followed recent Syrian air force training flights in northern airspace and reports of accelerated pilot recruitment, developments that Israeli defense officials had formally raised with the United States.

Israel has previously targeted Syria’s heavy armaments, seizing territory in the southwest, and warning Ankara against bolstering Syrian military capabilities.