Military Coup in Guinea-Bissau: President Detained
Guinea-Bissau’s army seized power after the 23 November election. The military detained President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and shut all borders.
November 27, 2025Clash Report
The takeover unfolded on 26 November, one day before provisional results were due in a 12-candidate race. Officers declared they now exercised “total control” over the state and suspended the entire electoral process.
Guinea-Bissau, which has faced at least nine coups or attempts since 1974, had deployed more than 6,780 security personnel to secure this vote, underscoring fears of renewed instability.
High Military Command Claims Full Control
Spokesperson Diniz N’Tchama said in a televised address that the military deposed Embaló, imposed a night-time curfew, suspended the election, and closed land, sea and air borders. General Denis N’Canha—head of the presidential military office—confirmed the president was being held at general staff headquarters and “well-treated.”
He said this was alongside other detainees including Domingos Simões Pereira, Fernando Dias, the interior minister and senior army chiefs.
Firefights Around Government Sites
Gunfire lasted for about an hour near the electoral commission, presidential palace and interior ministry as troops blocked major roads in Bissau.
Officers later claimed they intervened to stop a plan by “certain national politicians” and “well-known national and foreign drug barons” to manipulate results and destabilise the country.
Election Dispute And Rival Victory Claims
The poll was already fraught after the PAIGC opposition party was barred from presenting a candidate.
Both Embaló and rival Fernando Dias had pre-emptively declared victory—echoing the four-month standoff that followed the disputed 2019 runoff between Embaló and Domingos Simões Pereira.
Observers Condemn The Coup
Joint observer missions from the African Union, ECOWAS and the West African Elders Forum said the takeover was a “blatant attempt to disrupt the democratic process” and demanded the release of detainees and resumption of counting.
The UN and Portugal expressed deep concern and called for restraint.
Cocaine-Trafficking Allegations Resurface
The coup has reignited scrutiny of Guinea-Bissau’s role in trans-Atlantic cocaine smuggling, with recent reports noting the illicit trade may be more profitable than ever.
They cite a major 2.63-ton cocaine seizure from a Venezuela flight last year as tensions between political networks and military factions persist.
Related Topics
Related News
Embalo Flees to Senegal After Guinea-Bissau Military Coup
Africa
28/11/2025
Trump to Pardon Honduras Ex-Leader Jailed for Drug Crimes
29/11/2025
UN Warns of Escalating South Sudan Conflict
29/11/2025
Caribbean Showdown: U.S. and Venezuela on High Alert
28/11/2025
Pope Leo XIV Marks İznik Council Anniversary
28/11/2025
UK–EU Defense Fund Talks Collapse
28/11/2025
