Advertisement banner

Trump: U.S. Ground Operation Against Venezuelan Drug Networks Coming “Very Soon”

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that a ground operation targeting alleged drug-trafficking networks in Venezuela will begin soon, marking an escalation of Washington’s military posture in the region.

November 28, 2025Clash Report

Cover Image

U.S. President Donald Trump declared that the United States is preparing a new, large-scale ground offensive against drug-trafficking groups allegedly operating in Venezuela. His statement follows weeks of heightened military activity and high-level briefings, suggesting a shift toward a more aggressive U.S. strategy in the region.

Signal of an Imminent Ground Operation

Speaking to deployed service members during a Thanksgiving teleconference, Trump said smuggling routes at sea had diminished and that criminal networks were increasingly shifting to land routes. “In recent weeks, you’ve worked to deter the many Venezuelan drug traffickers out there. You’ve probably noticed far fewer coming by sea,” he told the troops.
He added, “We’re going to stop them on land as well. It’s easier terrain, and this will begin very soon.” Trump also issued a direct warning to traffickers: “Stop sending poison into our country.”

View post on X

Rising U.S. Pressure in the Region

Trump’s comments come after a series of classified briefings earlier this month and increased U.S. force deployments, indicating that Washington has finalized a new course of action toward Venezuela.
The administration recently labeled Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his allies as members of a foreign terrorist organization—a designation that marks a sharp escalation in U.S. policy.

Potential for New Sanctions, With Legal Limits

Reclassifying the group known as the “Cartel de los Soles”—a term long used by experts to describe allegedly corrupt Venezuelan officials—could give Washington broader authority to impose sanctions on Maduro’s assets and networks. However, legal analysts note that the designation does not explicitly authorize the use of lethal force, limiting the scope of direct military action.

Expanding U.S. Military Presence

Under “Operation Southern Spear,” the Pentagon has deployed more than a dozen warships and roughly 15,000 troops to the region.
In previous interdiction missions, U.S. forces have killed over 80 suspects during maritime confrontations, reflecting Washington’s increasingly forceful counter-narcotics approach.